How to Uninstall and Completely Remove All Microvellum Products from Your Computer
A previous attempt to install or uninstall an Microvellum® product failed to successfully complete and now you are unable to install or reinstall an Microvellum product on your system.
In these cases, it is strongly recommended that you clean your system by uninstalling all Microvellum products and supporting applications (add-ins, utilities, etc.) before attempting to reinstall the software.
Before you begin:
· These procedures are intended to completely remove Microvellum products and related support files from your computer. If you wish to preserve any existing customization, you must manually back up those files before executing the procedures that follow.
· Before you starting uninstalling your Microvellum products, we recommend you restart your system to ensure that any pending Windows OS updates get applied first.
For Microvellum products, the process of uninstallation is handled through the Windows Control Panel:
1. From the Windows Start menu, open the Control Panel.
2. Select “Uninstall a program” (Windows 7/Windows Vista) or “Add or Remove Programs” (Windows XP).
Windows 7/ Windows Vista
The first thing to note is that each Microvellum product is listed separately and must be uninstalled separately.
Uninstall Microvellum products:
1. Select the product to be uninstalled and click the “Uninstall/Change” link (Windows 7/Windows Vista) or the “Change/Remove” button(Windows XP).
2. At this point, the Microvellum installer will open in maintenance mode offering you the options to: Add or Remove Features, Repair or Reinstall, or Uninstall the selected product.
(Toolbox 7 2012 OEM installer in Maintenance Mode)
3. Click the Uninstall option and click Next to confirm that you want to remove the product from your computer (if you are prompted to remove shared files, click Yes to All).
4. After the Uninstall is complete, click Finish to close the installer.
Repeat steps 1-3 for each Microvellum product to be uninstalled.
Note: The uninstall procedure for some Microvellum products may require you to restart the computer when the uninstall has completed. If this is the case, restart the computer as instructed, return to the Control Panel and continue removing any remaining Microvellum products.
Delete remaining Microvellum product files and folders:
Warning: The following steps instruct you to delete folders at locations that would affect all installed Microvellum products. These steps assume you have already uninstalled all Microvellum products and that it is safe to remove those folders.
1. Using Windows Explorer, locate and delete the installation folder for each Microvellum product that was uninstalled in the previous procedures, e.g., "C:\Program Files\Microvellum Toolbox 67" or "C:\Program Files\Microvellum\Toolbox 7".
Note: These locations may be different if your OS is configured to store the Program Files folder on a drive other than C: or if you installed your Microvellum product to another drive and folder name.
2. Delete the following user profile folders (substitute your login name for %username%):
Windows 7/Windows Vista
Windows 7 and Windows Vista: Depending on your system settings, Windows Explorer may not automatically display all the subfolders under the Users folder. If you cannot locate these folders by navigating to the folder, copy and paste the above folder locations into the Windows Explorer address bar.
(Windows Explorer address bar)
· C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microvellum
· C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microvellum
· C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microvellum
Delete remaining Microvellum product entries from the Windows registry:
Warning: Improperly editing the Windows registry could render your operating system unusable. Microsoft provides a wealth of critical information that you need to know about the registry in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support
Use the Microsoft® Registry Editor at your own risk and only after backing up the registry. Instructions on backing up your registry can be found in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
Additional information about the registry is available in the Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.
1. Log on to the workstation as a member of the local Administrators group.
2. Launch the Run dialog by typing [Windows key] + R (Windows 7/Windows Vista) or clicking Start > Run (Windows XP).
3. In the Run dialog, enter REGEDIT in the “Open” edit field and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor, locate and delete the following subkeys:
(Deleting a subkey in the Registry Editor)
5. Close the Registry Editor.
6. Restart the computer.
Before reinstalling any Microvellum products
At this point, each of the previously installed Microvellum products—along with residual files, folders, and registry settings—should now be gone from the system and you are almost ready to start installing (or reinstalling) your Microvellum products. Before you begin, we recommend you perform the following tasks to help ensure a successful installation:
1. Reboot your computer. Restarting your system before installation helps ensure that any pending Windows OS updates get applied before you starting installing your Microvellum products.
2. In Windows Explorer, delete the contents of your Windows Temp folder, but do not delete the Windows Temp folder itself. You can locate the Temp folder by entering %TEMP% in the Address bar of Windows Explorer.
3. Close all running applications.
4. Disable any virus-checking software running on your system. Virus-checking applications may block certain activities detected as suspicious, e.g., accessing the registry or adding/removing/updating DLL files, even though these activities are common when installing or removing programs. Not only can it slow down the installation process, but it can actually introduce corruption. So make sure that your virus checking software is turned off before you install, and make sure you turn it back on when you're complete.
You are now ready to install your Microvellum products on your computer.